Purple winter dress - crochet

virkad ultraviolett lila klänning järbo vinga crochet purple dress

This purple winter dress will be warm and cosy to wear during the coming cold winter days. It's long enough to cover the knees but the sleeves are only 3/4 length. I usually do full length sleeves, but crocheted items has a tendency to stretch quite a lot. I also was a bit scarce of yarn, so prioritized the lenght of the dress before the sleeves. The shorter sleeves look quite elegeant and gives the dress a nice look, so I think it'll workout fine.

The yarn is Vinga fom Järbo in the colour ultraviolet. I used 10 skeins (each skein is 100 grams = totally 1900 m) and I used crochet hook 6.00 mm. The yarn is really soft and easily to work with. The colour is amazing in real life and will surey do more crochet with this yarn.

järbo vinga garn ultraviolett purple lila yarn

Here is the dress almost finished and draped over the sofa so I can get an overview.


The body is made from block stitches. I wanted a really tight pattern so I crocheted these two rows:
Row 1: Chain 2, 1 sc between every third dc.
Row 2: 3 dc in each space.

Below the body is a part of dc and bows.


The skirt is the same pattern as the sleeves (see below).
Row 1: All dc. (i.e. 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc in space)
Row 2: 1 dc in next dc, 1 ch, skip 1 dc

I ended the skirt with a frill to give the dress a sweeter and softer look. The frill itself is made from an easy lattice pattern:
1 dc, 1 ch


To create the frill effect I doubled the number of stitches at the last row of dcs:
In every dc: 1 dc, 1 ch.


The edging of the frill is exatcly the same shells as in the sleeves (see below)


The sleeve's pattern consists of two repeated rows:

Row 1: All dc. (i.e. 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc in space)
Row 2: 1 dc in next dc, 1 ch, skip 1 dc

The edging is a row of shells:
5 dc in the same dc, sc in the next dc


Here is the how the sleeve and the body is connected.


I'm not all that happy with the neck lining. It wasn't easy to get it smooth and rounded since I hade reduced the number of stitches in a way that made the edge looking chopped. I made two rows of sc and filled the gaps with dc and hdc. It would have been better to make the decrease smoother, but the result looks good enough.